Boy George Draws Attention With Warning to Musicians Who Refuse to Perform His Controversial New Song Michael, August 20, 2026 Boy George has sparked another round of discussion surrounding his controversial song “We Will Dance Again,” after saying he is prepared to remove musicians from his band if they refuse to perform the track live. The 65-year-old Culture Club singer, whose real name is George O’Dowd, released the song in July 2026 as an expression of solidarity with Jewish people and victims of the Hamas-led October 7, 2023 attacks in Israel. The song has subsequently generated both support and criticism because of its treatment of the Israel Gaza war. Boy George Addresses Resistance From His Musicians Shutterstock During a recent Instagram video, George acknowledged that some musicians working with him were uncomfortable with performing “We Will Dance Again.” He made clear that he considers the song part of his repertoire and expects musicians working in his band to be willing to play it. According to reporting by The Independent, George indicated that musicians unwilling to perform the track could ultimately lose their positions in his lineup. His comments add another chapter to the controversy that has surrounded the song since he released it through his social-media accounts. ‘We Will Dance Again’ References October 7 Shutterstock George released “We Will Dance Again,” also presented with the Hebrew title “Od Nirkod,” on July 26. The title echoes a phrase associated with survivors of the Nova music festival attack in southern Israel on October 7, 2023. Hundreds of people were killed at the festival during the Hamas-led attack, while dozens of others were taken hostage. George’s song explicitly references October 7 and criticizes what he regards as insufficient attention being paid to Israeli victims when musicians and activists discuss the subsequent war. The official Nova Music Festival account was among those that publicly responded positively to the song following its release. One Lyric Has Generated Particular Controversy instagram.com/boygeorgeofficial Much of the criticism has focused on the song’s opening declaration: “You say genocide, I say war.” That lyric directly enters one of the most fiercely contested debates surrounding Israel’s military campaign in Gaza. Israel has strongly rejected allegations that its actions constitute genocide, while UN experts and international organizations have raised grave allegations regarding Israel’s conduct and the humanitarian consequences of the war. George’s song clearly presents his own position on that debate rather than attempting to offer a neutral assessment. The singer also criticizes musicians who publicly support the Palestinian cause, accusing them of overlooking the events of October 7. George Says He Also Has Compassion for Palestinians instagram.com/boygeorgeofficial George has stressed that his support for Jewish people should not automatically be interpreted as indifference toward Palestinian suffering. Speaking to The Telegraph, the singer explained that his connection to Jewish friends and communities has become deeply personal to him over the years. “It doesn’t mean that I don’t have compassion for Palestinians,” George said. He also clarified that expressing solidarity with Jewish people does not mean he agrees with everything taking place in Israel. “But I am always going to defend the people that I love,” he added. That distinction has become an important part of George’s response to criticism. The Song Has Already Had Professional Consequences Shutterstock The controversy surrounding “We Will Dance Again” coincided with another major change in George’s professional schedule. He had been scheduled to portray King Herod in a London Palladium production of Jesus Christ Superstar from August 3 through August 15. However, George withdrew from the production shortly before his scheduled appearance. His manager, Paul Kemsley, announced the decision and said he believed stepping aside would allow attention to remain on the production. The statement did not explicitly say that the song caused George’s withdrawal, although the announcement came amid significant backlash surrounding the track. Richard Armitage was subsequently announced as his replacement. George Has Previously Spoken About Israel instagram.com/boygeorgeofficial “We Will Dance Again” did not mark the beginning of George’s public comments on Israel and Jewish communities. Earlier in 2026, he rejected calls to boycott the Eurovision Song Contest because of Israel’s participation. George has also publicly expressed solidarity with Jewish people following antisemitic violence. Although he is not Jewish, the singer has longstanding personal connections with Jewish friends and collaborators. Culture Club drummer Jon Moss, with whom George also had a long personal relationship, is Jewish. Those experiences have helped shape George’s explanation for why the issue has become personally important to him. He Appears Unwilling to Back Away instagram.com/boygeorgeofficial The reaction to “We Will Dance Again” demonstrates how deeply the Israel Gaza war continues to divide audiences, artists and the wider entertainment industry. George’s song has been praised by some supporters of Israel and Jewish organizations, while critics have strongly challenged its lyrics and its characterization of the war. For George, however, the controversy does not appear to have changed his intention to perform the track. His latest comments suggest that he views “We Will Dance Again” as a statement he is prepared to stand behind, even when musicians working alongside him disagree. Featured Image: instagram.com/boygeorgeofficial Entertainment & Media